72 hours ago I was on my way out to look at new cars to purchase. Kia, Hyundai, etc. are all fairly reliable and cheap. I can buy two of them for one Audi Q5 or Q7 ...
Now, it's important to stress that Doha isn't that big and suffers from terrible traffic congestion. That similar to London or Toronto during manic rush hour. Here I haven't figured out what times it happens. Just seems to happen all of the time.
Anyways ... 72 hours ago Lucy called because she was bleeding again. Two weeks ago today she was hospitalized for the same problem. The concern has always been for baby first and Lucy second. After sitting here for 3 days they discharged Lucy for bed rest until November 12 (when Jack would have been born by c-section). Lucy was rushed to the hospital on October 24 and Jack was hatched a few hours later.
It has all happened quite quickly and I'll be honest ... not fully prepared. I had joked that morning that I would go out and buy a big bag of flour to walk around with for the next few days and pretend it was a baby ... heh. Now we have Jack. We're very happy and proud to have him ...
All the updates about Jack can be found on his website: http://jack.dolgy.com/ ... All photos are posted to the Picasa albums I have...
Next post, and this is the exciting one ... what to do in Qatar when you need to get a birth certificate for a newborn!
Saturday, 24 October 2009
Monday, 19 October 2009
It's been a little bit hectic for the past few weeks. Realizing now that I've neglected the blog for almost two months. Well, 1.5 months ...! Where to start.
- Bean & Lucy are doing well. We had quite the scare last week and have had to make some adjustments for a quicker then expected arrival. Bean will be delivered, by an army of storks (provided they can find where we live in Doha .... no postal addresses in this country!) no later then November 12. The doctor gave us this date today, and well, I was shocked. My Grandfather, Mack, passed away in the early hours of November 13. We had discussed in the past names, and if the baby is a boy, and happens to be born on the date of my Grandfather's passing, we'd have an obligation to call the baby Mack. So, let's see how things progress. Lucy is confined to bed rest now until delivery.
- The apartment is now fully furnished and feels like home. The nursery is completed, car seat for baby is purchased (green is a gender neutral colour ....). The bugaboo is assembled and ready to go....!
- Still haven't purchased a car. To be honest, have been waiting to see how 90 days worked out and more importantly, use 90 days to assess the market over here in terms of what cars are good, reliable, have a nice resale value, etc... Have I decided? Not yet. What I do know is that it should have a fairly strong engine that enables me to get into the roundabout before any other car. That's the secret here. First in = safer
- Ice Hockey is fun. I'm happy I've gotten into it again. It has been a long long time since I put on skates. February 2009 I suppose. I am playing in the QIIHL and have had a few points already this season. As you can see from the webpage, it's not a huge league. The important part is that it is ice hockey! The folks on the team I play on are very nice and it makes a huge world of difference....The new warrior sticks I bought are also pretty sweet. Still, I think they have a small problem ... Not scoring enough goals.
- Fall has arrived in Doha. Yep, it's a very cold 31C out today. If it's below 40C it's COLD! It's odd how we miss the clouds, the rain and the garbage weather from everywhere else we've lived in the past few years. I have to say, I'm sick of perfect weather.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum for the PS3 is one of the best games I've ever played. So good, Lucy got into the game ... as it plays out like a movie. She was content to sit there and enjoy the story as it evolved. It's a shame that it ends so quickly...
- Work? Work is great. Challenges every day. I'm constantly thinking and that's a very good thing. New people keep starting and they are all very very interesting people. Diverse backgrounds, interests and strengths. Quite the foundation for a company that is on the verge of exploding throughout the Middle East & North Africa (MENA). Check out MEEZA ...
- Bought a Samsung HT-SB1 speaker to go with the Bravia ... Never again do I look at lots of speakers for the living room (well, atleast until children are old enough to understand the value of speakers....) ... the sound is perfect for us.